|Ward Khlaf, Stephanie Meier, Elena Kohler, Marina Maurer, Claudia Muster, Deborah Kühne, Dunja Moustopoulos, Corina Meier, Lukas Kuonen, Sven Lakatos, Marco Küng, Nico Nay, Melanie Müller, Ryan Koller, Michelle Kraljevic, Florian Leisering|
That means generation project
|What will the future of housing and co-living look like? The „generation project“ addresses questions like this. Different age groups are to be brought closer together, with everyone benefiting. Retirees look after their neighbor’s children while the parents are at work. The retirees get company, the children enjoy the additional attention and the parents do not have to organize a nanny. Sounds like a win-win situation. Although strong socialization of society could take place, others see generational conflicts.|
Some videos on youtube introduce the topic
More about …
|1. Definition “multigenrational living”|
2. Generation facts about Rotterdam
3. Generation projects Rottderman | mulitgenrational living Rotterdam
1. Multigenerational homes are designed to provide space for multiple generations to live under one roof. The basic idea of multigenerational living is that at least two adult generations live together. This could look like a home with grandparents living with their children and grandchildren, a home with parents and their adult children, or even a four-generation home.
This style of home is on the rise and allows for more quality time with family. In a multigenerational home, each generation will benefit from having their own separate space and privacy. Many multigenerational homes also have a separate living area and even a kitchen and separate entrance.
There are many benefits of multigenerational living but if the home doesn’t have the right layout or enough space, having so many family members under one roof can be stressful. When living in a multigenerational home, you’ll gain quality family time, increased family safety, shared responsibilities, and expenses, all while maintaining privacy. (Source: https://www.khov.com/blog/what-is-a-multigenerational-home visited 13/05/2022)
2. Since Rotterdam is an immigration hotspot for people from all over the world, Rotterdam is the only city in the whole of the Netherlands, whose average age has sunk over the last decades. Nevertheless, Rotterdam is also facing a growing number of elder people. Because of its diverse character, but also the countrywide challenge to manage the growing population of elderly people, Rotterdam has not just one, but different approaches to multigenerational living. One of the most known projects in not only Rotterdam, but the whole of the Netherlands is the initiative “Apartments for Life”, which originated in Rotterdam (Source: https://www.centreforpublicimpact.org/case-study/levensloopbestendige-netherlands / visited 11/05/2022). The goal is to keep elderly people in an environment, that provides a mix of age groups, and the possibility to take part in the daily city social life by not being separated from the rest of the population and keeping a high level of autonomy. The project is also aware of the needs, such as accessibility – which is summarized as “integrated living” – of its people.
3. To know what makes the population of Rotterdam tick, we need to get to know them. The city has 623,000 thousand inhabitants – more than half a million (Source: https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/214144/umfrage/groesste-staedte-in-den-niederlanden / visited 13/05/2022). For comparison: to reach such a number of inhabitants in Switzerland, one would have to combine the most populous cities of Zurich and Geneva (Source: https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/216783/umfrage/groesste-staedte-in-der-schweiz / visited 13/05/2022). Due to a large number of inhabitants, there are also just as many languages, cultures and religions represented. Rotterdam is considered a cosmopolitan city with over 170 nationalities (https://sdr.gdos.gov.pl/Documents/Wizyty/Belgia%20i%20Holandia/Rotterdam%20w%20liczbach.pdf / visited 13/05/2022). Due to the different influences, Rotterdam has a diverse cultural scene. It is home to a large hip-hop scene, many events, attractions, and food options. The inhabitants do not only earn money and work in the city, they live and enjoy it. This is certainly due to the fact that the residents are very young. The average age is 40 years – the tendency is even decreasing. Rotterdam city as well as the population is young, cosmopolitan and dynamic https://ugeo.urbistat.com/AdminStat/de/nl/demografia/dati-sintesi/rotterdam/7/2 visited 13/05/2022).
The problem of an elderly population and the ongoing speratation of young and old people is mostly a phenomenon of western countries. Rotterdam is home to many immigrants from non-western countries with the opposite problem: a fast-growing and in the cities often very dense population, where families of 3 or even more generations live under one roof.
https://www.uu.nl/sites/default/files/wp6-rotterdam-report-final_low.pdf visited 13/05/2022.
Similar situations can be found in Rotterdam. Those circumstances occur mostly because of low income and cultural background.
Ideas on the topic
|Two houses are separated by a park: in one house there is space for families and in the other house for older people. The buildings are equipped with lifts so that older people do not have a problem walking up and downstairs. In the park, there is a playground but also benches to read something in peace.|
The restaurant offers a guardian service, where young families can give their children to the guardian service on the spot. Elderly people are assigned a child while the parents can enjoy their date. Thereby, the elderly experience society and do not have to feel so alone.
The older people take care of the garden during the day and can sow different plants. The young people help the elderly with heavy work and use what they have sown for cooking. So old and young come together at the table.
On a game night, the older ones can pass on a tradition to the young ones (for example playing cards or sjoelen). In this way, the tradition is preserved and together you can have fun.
A room in an apartment can be rented by elderly people, but the rent is not paid with money, but with services and assistance.